Arizona Department of Education: Certification Offices
1535 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
Arizona Department of Education: http://www.azed.gov/educator-certification/
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: No
Other Testing Needed: Yes, National Evaluation Series (NES) tests – Library/Educational Media – passing score is 220.
Description: Library Media Specialist is considered an endorsement attached to a teaching certificate.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
Criteria for eligibility for the Library Media Specialist endorsement includes:
Completed Application for Certification
A photocopy of your valid Arizona Department of Public Safety Identity Verified Prints (IVP) fingerprint card (plastic).
A valid Arizona Teaching License (Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary, or Special Education certificate).
Option A or B:
A. Coursework and Subject Knowledge. (All requirements A-1 through A-2 must be met.):
A-1. One year of verified full -time teaching experience. Submit a Verification of Teaching Experience form signed by the District Superintendent or Personnel Director to verify teaching experience.
A-2. Subject Knowledge Competency. One of the following:
- Exam: A passing score on the School Library Media Specialist portion of the Arizona Educator Exam.
- Out-of-State Exam: A passing score on a substantially similar Subject Knowledge School Library Media Specialist examination from another state or agency. Submit the original score report at time of application
- NBCT: A valid comparable certificate from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Submit a copy of the certificate.
- Degree in Library Science: A Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate degree from an accredited institution in Library Science. Official transcript(s) required.
- Teaching Experience: Three (3) years of full -time teaching experience in any state, including Arizona, in Library Science, grades PreK through 12. Submit a Verification of Teaching Experience form signed and completed by the district superintendent or personnel director to verify teaching experience. Note: Teaching experience in a foreign country will not be accepted.
- Post-Secondary Teaching: Experience teaching courses relevant to Library Science for the last two consecutive years, and for a total of at least three years, at one or more regionally or nationally accredited postsecondary institutions. Submit a verification letter from a department chair, dean, or personnel director, verifying employment for the specific durations from one or more qualifying postsecondary institutions.
- Work Experience: Demonstration of expertise in Library Science through five years of relevant work experience. "Work experience" means work experience identified in the submission of a resume verified by a hiring public school superintendent or personnel director or the Department of Education which demonstrates knowledge or skills relevant to the subject area.
B. Out-of-State Certificate or Endorsement
B-1: The applicant holds a valid, comparable Library-Media Specialist certificate or endorsement from another state and is in good standing with that other state. Submit a photocopy of your comparable out -of-state certificate.
Reciprocity: Yes, in every state provided Arizona offers a comparable certificate.