Louisiana Department of Education
Certification and Higher Education
P.O. Box 94064
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9064
House Bill 221, passed in August of 2001, enables exemption from Louisiana PRAXIS/NTE examinations requirements if the applicant holding valid out-of-state teaching credentials (1) has at least three years of successful teaching experience in another state, as certified by the previous out-of-state school district(s) from satisfactory annual evaluation results, and (2) has completed one year of employment as a teacher in Louisiana public school system, as verified by the superintendent of the employing public school system. The Louisiana superintendent must request full Louisiana certification for the out-of-state teacher, following the successful year of employment in Louisiana.
The criteria for eligible individuals are:
Complete eighteen to twenty-one semester hours in library science, as follows:
- Elementary and/or secondary school library materials, nine (9)semester hours;
- Organization, administration, and interpretation of elementary and/or secondary school library service, six (6) semester hours;
- Elementary and/or secondary school library practice, three (3) semester hours (see note).
NOTE: Persons who have already served three years as fulltime school librarians and who completed all library science courses except elementary and secondary school library practice, may satisfy this requirement by a minimum one-year, on-the-job internship with supervision provided by the Library Science faculty of the College of Education for six semester hours of credit.
- Masters degree in library science from a regionally accredited institution.
- Passing score on Praxis Library Media Specialist examination (0310) if completed prior to 9/12/09 (560) or (0311) if completed after 9/12/09 (136).