West Virginia Department of Education
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: (800) 982-2378
West Virginia Department of Education: http://wvde.state.wv.us/teachwv/certification.html
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: Yes, passing score of 138.
Other Testing Needed: Yes, the Praxis I and Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching Description: The Library Media license is an endorsement to the teaching license.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
Criteria for eligible individuals:
An Initial Professional Teaching Certificate may be issued to a person who has completed:
- The general requirements for teacher licensure
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree (or a master's degree if required) through a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Completed all state required praxis exams
Conditions for issuance (individuals must have completed and show evidence of the following):
- Must have completed an institution of higher education's state approved program which includes the recommendation of the designated official at school
- Must meet all requirements for out-of-state-applicants
- Meet all guidelines for alternative routes to certification
The Initial Professional Teaching Certificate shall be valid for no more than three years.
Reciprocity: Under West Virginia Code §18A-3-1 and as defined in WV Policy 5202 §126-136-16, out of state applicants seeking initial licensure in the state of West Virginia, based on reciprocity, are required to meet EACH of the following:
- hold a valid teaching certificate or a certificate of eligibility issued by another state,
- have graduated from a state-approved educator preparation program* at a regionally accredited institution of higher education;
- have successfully completed a student teaching experience or equivalent in the state in which the approved program was completed.