The role of school librarians has evolved: no longer do they primarily support teachers with reading and literacy resources. Many librarians now support teachers in integrating technology tools and innovative teaching practices in their classrooms.
At her school, author and learning coordinator Stacy Brown has pioneered the transition to innovation and technology use in the classroom. In The School Librarian's Technology Playbook, she showcases different technology tools and innovative strategies that can be incorporated into the classroom, such as 3D printing, augmented reality, green screen applications, gamification, coding, makerEd, and more. She details the many ways in which school librarians can support teachers as they implement these new practices into their curriculum.
School librarians will learn how to collaborate with teachers and how to empower them to step outside of their comfort zones to try new tools and teaching methods. Readers of this book will also learn how to support teachers as the technology continues to change in this dynamic educational landscape.
• Readers will be inspired to reimagine the role of the school librarian as a primary influencer of innovation within the school community
• Readers will discover specific strategies to achieve buy-in from administrators and managers to allow school librarians to lead the school in innovation and professional learning
• Readers will learn about relevant resources in technology and innovation and practical approaches to using them in an elementary and middle school curriculum
• Readers will acquire specific strategies for librarians to form partnerships with teachers to introduce resources and alternative teaching strategies into the classroom
• Readers will learn practical approaches for shaping the school library as an innovation hub to pilot ideas and resources and launch them into the larger community
Stacy Brown is the 21st century learning coordinator at The Davis Academy in Atlanta, Georgia, where she previously worked as the library media specialist. She is a graduate of The University of Texas at Austin and holds an MLIS from Florida State University. Brown is a national presenter and contributor to professional books and journals on topics relating to libraries, technology, innovation, and education. She is the recipient of the 3M/NMRT Professional Development Grant Award and the 2016 Marilyn Shubin Professional Service Award. She currently serves on the boards for Atlanta Area Technology Educators and Savvy Cyber Kids, Inc.