In this series, library advocate and esteemed professor Dr. Barbara Stripling brings you a comprehensive look at the power of assessment. From building a relationship of trust with students to transforming their learning, assessment ensures that students leave the library with increased confidence, skills, and expertise. Learn strategies and tools for infusing rich assessments throughout your instructional program, along with practical examples that you can try right away. Empower your students for success with meaningful assessment in the library!
- Learn the three characteristics shared by effective assessments
- Learn three compelling reasons to assess student learning in the library
- Learn the components of student learning best suited for assessment in the library
- Learn how to implement diagnostic assessments to gauge students' interests, attitudes, and prior knowledge.
- Learn how to authentically incorporate formative assessment into your programming
- Learn how to apply the REACTS taxonomy to summative assessment
- Learn four significant benefits that can result from analyzing assessment data
Each workshop lesson includes video content and a follow-up activity to help you apply and show evidence of your learning.
Lesson 1: What Do We Mean by Assessment in the Library?
Activity: Reflection on Past Assessments
Lesson 2: Why Do We Assess Student Learning?
Activity: What's Your Why?
Lesson 3: What Do We Assess?
Activity: Teach Skill, Assess Skill
Lesson 4: Diagnostic Assessment
Activity: Awakening Prior Knowledge
Lesson 5: Formative Assessment
Activity: Tools and Strategies for Formative Assessment
Lesson 6: Summative Assessment
Activity: Assessing Information Fluency
Lesson 7: How Can We Use Assessment Data?
Activity: Assessment Data and Advocacy
Earn three professional development clock hour for completing this workshop's videos, activities, and quiz. Consult with your supervising organization about applying these to your professional development requirements.
To show evidence of learning for this course, complete and share the following:
- Reflection on Past Assessments
- What's Your Why? Reflection
- Teach Skill, Assess Skill Table
- Awakening Prior Knowledge Table
- Tools and Strategies for Formative Assessment Reflection
- Assessing Information Fluency Table
- Assessment Data and Advocacy Reflection
- Workshop Quiz Results / Certificate of Completion
School Library Connection is a publication of Libraries Unlimited, a publisher in the field of academic, public, school, and special libraries since 1964. Libraries Unlimited's mission—to cultivate and maintain a supportive community where librarians, archivists, and information specialists can learn about and discuss leading-edge trends and acquire new skills through every phase of their careers—is supported by over 2,000 publications. Since 2008, Libraries Unlimited has been an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, an award-winning publisher of digital and print products in the realms of reference, contemporary thought, and professional development. With both a long-standing reputation for authoritative and trustworthy materials and a current prominence in delivering cutting-edge content in diverse and innovative forms, ABC-CLIO continues to be driven by pursuit of its core mission: to serve as source, catalyst, and support of lifelong learning.
To make inquiries about this workshop, please email WebinarSLC@abc-clio.com.
Entry ID: 2228094