Illinois State Board of Education
100 W. Randolph, Suite 14-300
Chicago, IL 60601
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, IL 62777
(312) 814-2220 (Chicago)
(866) 262-6663 (Springfield)
Please note the Educator Certification Division responds only to phone calls.
Please call (217) 557-6763 or contact your Regional Office of Education
- Hold an endorsement for library information specialist, media, or library science.
- Have met one of the following requirements between September 1, 1978, and June 30, 2004:
- Completed 18 semester hours of coursework in the areas of library administration, organization (cataloging and classification), reference, and selection of materials for elementary or secondary levels.
- Completed 32 semester hours in the areas of media, library administration, organization (cataloging and classification), reference, selection of materials for elementary AND secondary levels, production, and communications.
- Hold a short-term approval for library information specialist.
- Have completed 24 semester hours of college coursework in library information science on or after July 1,2006, within three years of beginning the position.
The criteria for eligibility for individuals who hold a valid and comparable certificate are:
- Pass an Illinois content-area test unless they have passed a certification test that would be applicable to a subject area of endorsement.
- Pass the test of Basic Skills and appropriate subject-matter knowledge test.
Note: Acceptance of content tests in other states will be determined by ISBE.