Maryland Department of Education: Certification Branch
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
1-866-772-8922 (Toll Free)
Maryland Department of Education: http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/about/Pages/DEE/Certification/index.aspx
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: No
Other Testing Needed: No, if the candidate has two years teaching experience in another state, you will be exempt from the Praxis I and Praxis II. However, all certificate holders must have three semester hours in inclusion of special needs populations.
Description: Maryland offers two options: one for those with a Master's degree and two for those with a Bachelor's or higher degree from an Institution of Higher Education. In addition, Maryland issues certificates in the area of Library Media Administration. As of July 1, 1999 individuals applying for a Maryland certificate are required to complete additional reading course work (level determines number of hours). Maryland also requires that all certificate holders have 3 semester hours in inclusion of special needs populations.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
The criteria for the two options for eligible individuals are:
- A Master's degree that would lead to state certification as a library media specialist; or
- A comparable position as determined by the State Department of Education.
- A Bachelor's or higher degree from an Institution of Higher Education,
- Satisfactorily complete a school library media practicum; one year of full-time teaching or one year of full-time school library media related experience,
- Satisfactorily completed a program of 36 semester hours of post-baccalaureate or graduate credits with 15 semester hours completed at one institution,
- A minimum of 24 semester hours of the post-baccalaureate credits shall be met by graduate credits in the content course work in library media education.
Reciprocity: Maryland follows the Interstate Agreement with the 48 states and the District of Columbia in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education & Certification (NASDEC). However, one must meet the state's requirements for teaching licensure. Further information can be found at http://www.nasdtec.net/?InterstateAgreements http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/about/Pages/DEE/Certification/index.aspx & http://www.nasdtec.net/?InterstateAgreements LMS Certification - School Library Media Certification By State: Maryland 0