Commission on Teacher Credentialing
1900 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95811-4213
Phone: 916-332-4974, Option 1, 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (PST)
California Commission on Teacher Credentialing: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Library Media Content Test Needed: Yes, California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) http://www.cbest.nesinc.com
Other Testing Needed: No
Description: The requirements for the clear credential in Teacher Librarian Services must meet all of the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Hold a valid prerequisite California teaching credential as follows:
- a credential that required completion of a professional teacher preparation program, including student teaching, or
- a clear full-time designated subjects teaching credential, provided the holder also possesses a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and has passed the basic skills proficiency test.
- Complete one of the following:
- a commission-approved Teacher Librarian Services Credential program.
- a professional preparation program in teacher librarian services including successful completion of a supervised field work, or the equivalent. Official transcripts must be submitted, along with a photocopy of the out-of-state credential or a letter from the issuing state's licensing agency verifying eligibility for the credential.
- Satisfy the basic skills requirement. See Commission Leaflet CL-667, entitled Basic Skills Requirement for additional information. Individuals who completed their professional preparation program out-of-state may contact their California employer about the possibility of obtaining a One-Year Nonrenewable (OYNR) credential pending completion of the basic skills requirement.
- Possession of an English learner authorization issued by the Commission (excludes English learner authorizations on teaching permits).
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification
Teachers who are certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in the area of Early Childhood through Young Adulthood—Library Media may be issued a Clear Teacher Librarian Services Credential.
See Credential Leaflet for more information at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl562.pdf
Passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
Reciprocity: Yes, through the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement. This can be found at: http://www.nasdtec.net/?InterstateAgreements