Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement
6000 E Evans Ave
Building #2, Suite 100
Denver, CO 80222
Phone: (303) 866-6628
Fax: (303) 866-6722
Colorado Department of Education Educator Licensing Unit: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Library Media Content Test Needed: Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE). All candidates must have a passing score of 220; for additional information go to the PLACE website (www.place.nesinc.com).
Description: Colorado offers two types of endorsements: a teacher librarian and a school librarian endorsement, (http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdelib/tlendorsementoverview) both of which require a teaching license.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
Criteria for eligibility includes completion of one of the following requirements:
- bachelor's degree from an accepted institution of higher education
- hold a Colorado initial, alternative, or professional teacher license
- have completed an approved program in library science or the equivalent, including field work in diverse K – 12 settings and grade levels and a supervised practicum or internship which includes both elementary and secondary school library experience (the practicum or internship may be waived by the accepted institution upon comparable teacher – librarian experience as determined by the educator preparation program)
- have demonstrated knowledge and performance competency including but not limited to those listed here: (http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdelib/tlcourseworkrequirements).
School Librarian Endorsement — Elements of the previous "School Librarian" endorsement were combined with elements of the previous "Teacher Librarian" endorsement to create the current "Teacher Librarian" endorsement. The School Librarian endorsement:
- was discontinued as of March 30, 2016 and may only be renewed on a professional license or earned if you were enrolled in an approved program by the Fall of 2016.
- may be added to an existing Colorado teacher license by taking and passing the Place 42 (Passing Score: 220) exam through March 30, 2017. The last administration of this exam will be November 5, 2016.
If your prior endorsement was "School Librarian," your future renewal(s) will be "School Librarian" as long as all renewal requirements are met. The same will be true for those who have the previous iteration of "Teacher Librarian" or other endorsement term(s) used on your license.