Florida Department of Education
Turlington Building, Suite 201
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Phone: 1-800-445-6739 (toll free) or 1-850-245-5049 (outside U.S.)
Florida Department of Education: http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: No
Other Testing Needed: Yes, Florida Teacher Certification Exams – Professional Education; General Knowledge; Subject Area – Educational Media Specialist
Description: The Educational Media Specialist (PK-12) is classified as a Professional Service Area. Florida provides two types of licensure (http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/rules/6A-4-0251.asp).
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
Criteria for eligibility for a licensure includes two plans:
- Plan One: A bachelor's or higher degree with an undergraduate or graduate major in educational media or library science.
- Plan Two: A bachelor's or higher degree with thirty semester hours in educational media or library science to include credit in these areas: Management, Collection Development, Resources, Reference Sources and Services, Organization of Collections, and Design and Production.
Reciprocity: Florida has two reciprocity routes for certified teachers and administrators to qualify for our Professional Certificate.
Route 1: Valid Standard Certificate Issued by a State Other than Florida
- The certificate shall be the valid standard educator's certificate issued by that state which is comparable to a Florida Professional Certificate, and
- Be issued in a subject comparable to a Florida certification subject, and
- Require the same or higher level of training required for certification in that subject in Florida, and
- The certificate must be currently valid (not expired or revoked).
Route 2: Certificate Issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)
- The NBPTS certificate must be currently valid.
- The Florida certificate will reflect the Florida subject considered comparable to the NBPTS subject.
Entry ID: 1959103